Manufacturing and engineering are critical to the success of the UK economy, contributing 27% of GDP in 2014 and employing almost a fifth of the workforce. The sector is 9% larger than at the start of the recession, with further strong growth forecast for years to come. Yet if we’re to realise this potential, we need many more skilled people.
To keep pace, the UK needs to recruit 182,000 people with engineering skills each year and increase the current engineering workforce by almost 50%!
While Gloucestershire has an excellent reputation for farming and rural industries, it is also home to a large number of manufacturing and engineering businesses, which employ a quarter of the county’s population. This means that the local economy is heavily dependent on their success for its prosperity. Sadly these employers struggle to recruit skilled staff and, at the same time, many local people have little or no awareness of the immense range of career opportunities open to them.
This is the backdrop against which Festomane was born and those involved set out to address these issues.
Festomane aims to help build a strong manufacturing and engineering economy to serve communities throughout Gloucestershire.
- By celebrating our industrial past, present and future
- By demonstrating to young people and adults the wealth of fulfilling, worthwhile job and career opportunities. They really can be part of something great!
- By enthusing young people from as young as 10 or 11 years old, inspiring them to develop an interest in science so that they might consider it as an exciting, rewarding career
- By helping business leaders to access the support which will enable them to grow their business, creating jobs and wealth.
- By providing an opportunity for them to showcase their business to the community.
- By providing them with a dedicated apprenticeship portal to advertise opportunities.